Generated Image

Friday, September 16, 2005

you gotta listen to the dr.


Estee's sleeping pattern is the following: cat naps of about 15-30 minutes during the day here and there and then blocks of sleep at night between 5-8 hours. I told the pediatritian about this because I was concerned that she wasn't sleeping enough. He said that she isn't and what we need to do along with her bedtime routine (which consists of bath, feeding, darkness and bed) we need to realize that she has to learn to put herself to sleep. So rather than rocking her after a feeding, if she is tired, put her to bed and let her fall asleep on her own. Another thing Aaron and I got into the habit of doing is putting her down after her feeding and the second she wakes up picking her up and feeding her more (only at night). so, taking the dr's advice has been a hard task because not only do we want her to sleep but when she is awake she often makes a lot of noise and kvetches. When she is doing this I am unable to go to sleep. Two nights ago, I fed her, put her to bed and 10 minutes later she was awake again. After about 15 minutes of looking around, she was asleep. Wow, score! The dr really knows his stuff. I figured this would be the case every other night but it wasn't so easy. Last night after putting her down twice, she woke up again. I let her stay but it was already late so every so often I would peek at her to see if she had fallen asleep. Every time I peeked at her she saw me and started to laugh! This was totally defeating the purpose every time she laughed, Ilaughed too, it was terrible! Finally I couldn't take it anymore. This could go on all night, I realized. Fridays I start teaching earlier and had to be up earlier and didn't want to be up all night waiting for her to fall asleep. Wouldn't it be easier to just give her a bottle or rock her to sleep to save time? So, that is what we did. We can always try tonight right?

1 Comments:

Blogger DeanaPsychic said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home