Generated Image

Friday, October 21, 2005

The incredible feat

It has been a while since I had company over for yom tov or shabbos. The end of my pregnancy was very difficult and when Estee was first born I didn't have a free moment. With Shmini Atzeret and Simchas Torah approaching and the fact that little Es is a bit more independant I figured I could attempt the guest thing. Of course since it's been a while I have to make a lot! It used to take me a few hours to do all my cooking. Today it took a few hours to do half. Maybe even less than half. But the greatest feat of all came when I was making my apple kugel. If I didn't know it before, it has been made crystal clear that I am really a mother. Halfway through slicing my apples into thin slices, Estee began to get a bit cranky. At first it seemed like she was singing along with my Eitan and Shlomo Katz cd which was quite funny but, her singing turned into kvetching. I went over and put the pacifier in her mouth but she didn't want it and just laughed at me. After attempting that a few times I realized that the only time she was content was when I was with her. I tried to distract her while I was cutting but the kvetching turned into crying. What to do? I did what any mother would do. I picked her up, faced her outward, put her on my hip and continued to cook. With my baby in one hand and my spatula in the other I proceeded to spread apricot preserves, mix batter, spread batter, and put three dishes in the oven. Wooo. I feel accomplished. Of course, the second the food went into the oven, she fell asleep. Figures...

3 Comments:

Blogger Kar said...

You should buy one of those pouches... What are they called? The things you put in front of you for her to sit...like on your stomach. Agh I'm blanking.. You know what I'm talking about.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

yes I registered for one

10:06 AM  
Blogger Kar said...

Snuggly.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home