Generated Image

Monday, October 10, 2005

The most terrible invention


whoever thought they were a genius when they decided that stuffing a large silicone tube up a babies nose to get out the junk, was sadly mistaken. The most terrible invention ever: the aspirator. For those of you that have never seen an aspirator, here is a picture. the tube part goes up in the baby's small nostril and you squeeze the part where my hands are to get everything out. In the inventor's defense I know there may be no other way to get the snot out but this is just plain abuse. Poor Estee isn't sick but for some reason has a stuffy nose. The doctor said to put saline drops to make it easier to aspirate. You'd think that something so wonderful and powerful as an aspirator would suck everything out in one squeeze but that isn't the case. my poor baby had to suffer through 5 sucks on each nostril and her nose is still stuffy!! Between each suck I gave her a pacifier to calm her down and to take a break. I want you to try sticking that thing up your nose! We should all consider ourselves lucky that we are coordinated enough to just use a tissue and blow. This poor innocent child was just minding her own business, hitting herself in the face, when wham a nostril vacuum comes stretches out her tiny little nostrils, pulls out whatever's in there and probably scares her on top of it. And to top it all off, it didn't even work. Yes, stuff came out, but stuff is still in there! she is still snorting! I vow to find another way! My father in law sent me an article yesterday about people that toilet train their babies at 4-6 months. (that's a post for another day)(http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/09/nyregion/09diapers.html?ex=1129521600&en=618f39c4c46d0d3c&ei=5070&emc=eta1)
If they are taking part in this psychotic trend why can't I teach my child to blow her own nose? I guess it might have to wait until after she learns how to put her thumb in her mouth without smacking herself in the face.

3 Comments:

Blogger JTopo said...

You should know that my father's favorite thing to do was get the boogies out of my and my sister's noses using the ASPIRATOR. I'll ask him how he did it? He is a very nice and gentle man so I know he wasn't trying to torture us. I'll let you know what I come up with. Was it at least cool and fun to do (or I guess would it have been if Estee wasn't so freaked out by it?)

1:19 PM  
Blogger JTopo said...

Wohh... I just had to write a weird word down so that the site would allow my post to go up. What's with the word verification? Does that keep the weird freaks away?

1:20 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

#1- yeah it actually was kinda cool to hear the suction noise. when i first started doing it, she didn't mind it was after the 3rd time she started getting agitated.
#2-yes word verification is to keep the freaks out, you got it!

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home