Generated Image

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Not following the rules

I don't know if it makes me a bad parent but I just couldn't do it. The dr. told me if she is over tired and has already bathed and isn't eating anymore I should just put her to bed. If she cries I should let her. 5 minutes and 39 seconds of her crying was agony enough. With tears in my eyes I told Aaron I am getting her. He said I shouldn't but I did. She is in my arms watching the computer screen and switching off between rubbing, scratching and hitting my belly. We're both in seventh heaven so why not? Am I bad for not listening to the dr.? Will I really regret it later?
There have been a few instances when I have put Estee in the bath and she immediately peed. On Rosh Hashana she did this, laughed, I took her out gave her to Aaron wrapped in a towel while I refilled the bath. This process occured twice more before I finally decided to just sponge bathe her. Aaron is convinced that she must always pee when she is in the bath and I just don't realize. I made a habit of always looking at that area to see if there is any movement in the water unnatural to the normal bathtub. I also noticed that she tends to put on a really big grin as she is peeing. Tonight I saw the grin first and I quickly looked down and sure enough there was a flow. Aaron wasn't home so I couldn't give him our naked daughter to hold while I refilled the bath. For a moment I contemplated continuing the bath anyway considering Aaron thinks she always pees. Just as my fondness of hygeine was taking over (if she pees and I don't know about it that's one thing, bathing her knowingly in pee is another.) bubbles begin erupting in the water near her legs. Before I had time to think I saw something emerging from her and it was not pretty. I quickly whisked her out of the bath, onto a towel and got a clean diaper under her. The bath stayed clean and the towel only suffered a minor stain. I'm still somewhat perplexed about this peeing thing though. Is she doing it every time? If so, is she getting clean? How do I stop it from happening? Is it the warm water?
On another note, she's sleeping. I didn't rock her, she just wanteed comfort, is that so bad?

5 Comments:

Blogger Skayabs said...

Emmanuelle does the EXACT same thing every time I bathe her too- and it started last shabbat. I filled up the bath before I lit candles, then I went to bathe her and she peed. I couldn't empty the water because I couldn't refill it then with warm water, so I figured, Batel Beshishim... and ever since, she's been peeing, and I've NOT been changing the water. Hopefully she doesn't smell...

5:51 PM  
Blogger nechamala said...

you're not a bad mommy. i always pick up my daughter if she cries. guess what? she's 7 months old and sleeps 12 hours through the night and has been since she was 4.5 months. as long as you don't put her to bed every night when she's already asleep, and she is learning how to fend for herself a little and put herself to sleep, then you and estee will be fine.

in terms of the peeing, the couple of times i noticed katie going in the bath, i just kept on washing her because she would just do it again anyhow. but now i usualy bring her in the shower with me so that's not a problem anymore!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

How do I bring her in the shower? I wanted to do that but I was afraid of 1.dropping her because my hands are slippery 2. The spray in her face. I brought her in the bath with me once but it was too much trouble and it wasn't easy to maneuver her. Come to think of it I must've been bathing in pee then too.

2:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

first i shower, then my hubby brings her to me. i hold her against mewith her back to the water. when i wash her front, our sides face the water and i splash it on her, so it's never in her face. she loves when i hold her up in front of the shower head so she's facing me but the water is going all over her back. the water does get in her eyes when i wash the shampoo out, but it only lasts a second. i'm still nervous when i do it, but i hold her secure so my arm is wrapped around her waste and if she slips down a little, my arm is still hooked under her arms so we're ok (if you understand what i mean!)

-nech

7:08 AM  
Blogger Balabusta in Blue Jeans said...

Really, I wouldn't worry about a small proportion of baby pee to bathwater. It's going to be so diffused as to be irrelevent. It's not going to prevent her from getting clean.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home