Generated Image

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Sorry, this is not a funny post

Last night I had the worst scare so far of motherhood. I am sure there will be worse scares, that in and of itself frightens me. I was giving Estee a bath and we were singing and laughing. Rather, I was singing, she was laughing. As you probably have seen in some pictures or if you have met her, sometimes when Estee smiles or laughs she turns her head to the side. Well last night she did just that, into the bath water. It was totally unexpected and I quickly pulled her out (obviously) I will never forget the look on her face. It was the scariest look ever and I dreamt about it last night. My poor baby looked so afraid and she also was not breathing. For some reason I froze and I screamed for Aaron. He took her and she started to make choking noises. At that moment my clarity returned and I told him to flip her over. In between her choking noises she started to cry a terrible cry (which meant she was breathing, Thank G-d) and spit up a little. I hugged her cute precious little naked body so tight and we cried in eachothers arms. I was probably more upset than her. Then the nerves hit. What if there's still water in her lungs, what if she swallowed some of the soapy water and that is bad for her. Etc, Etc...Recently a friend of ours had a similar experience and was equally nervous so they called the pediatritian (same one we have). Aaron called them for me so I would calm down. My friend told me everything the doctor said, he is breathing now, so he is fine, he is coughing or crying so he is fine. Estee was literally sitting and laughing at me while I was still in tears but I was still afraid. When I got off the phone I said to Aaron, their son is almost a year old, what if it is okay for an older kid to swallow soapy water but not for a 3 month old? I called my mother and mother in law and father for further comfort. I think I was finally comforted because I did allow myself to go to sleep without checking on her every five seconds. I did though feel her chest for breathing a few times but that is to be expected. Do you think this is a situation that warranted paging our pediatritian at 9:30 on a saturday night?

**If anyone that is reading this is a parent, or will be one soon, please never leave your child unattended in the bathtub (even an older child) if I wasn't standing right there she could have G-d forbid drowned...**

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home