Generated Image

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

7 minutes= a lifetime

That was the worst seven minutes of my life. I have read article after article telling me the same thing as my doctor and as all my friends who have kids a bit older than Estee. Babies must learn how to fall asleep on their own. If they can do that they will be able to do it in the middle of the night. Every night I make up another excuse why I can't do it. It's already late and I need to go to sleep, or she had shots today, or something. Tonight my excuses ran out and I knew it was for the best. After she had dinner, her bath and her bottle she was still awake but very tired. I put her in bed. She played a little, then started to kvetch. When the crying started I frantically picked up the phone to call one of my friends. This friend told me of the time she let her son cry. She went outside and called people and her husband called her on the cellphone when it was over. Being that Aaron wasn't home, I figured atleast let me talk to someone who can encourage me not to go get her. That friend didn't answer. The next friend I called wasn't home. When I called Aaron he said his shiur just ended and Maariv will be starting in 5 minutes, he'll be home after that. I told him that I hope her crying doesn't end that long. So, I called my mom. Atleast I was the only one crying. I was afraid that it would be 7 minutes of all three generations crying. But, it was only me and Estee. When she finally quieted down, a huge boulder was lifted off of my chest. I needed to check on her. What if she wasn't sleeping and saw me? But, what if she choked from crying and needs me? I decided I must see. So I told my mother to be quiet just in case she would hear her through the phone and I crawled into her room. When I got to the crib I slowly slowly got up and peered over the top of her crib. Eyes closed, chest moving rhythmically in and out. Ahhhh, sleep. Thank G-d. So, it worked. 7 minutes. It somehow doesn't really seem that bad but at the time it was. Before my mother said goodnight she said "It will take a few more nights before she gets used to it." WHAT??!! I have to do this again???? I was so happy that I finally got it over with. I thought all it took was one night. My mother also warned me that it may not be 7 minutes tommorow. Oysh. Take this as your warning everyone. Be home and be available. I WILL be calling you!

7 Comments:

Blogger Another meshugannah mommy said...

This is definitely one of the hardest things I had to do as a new mom. But, I did it with both of my children, and they were both the better for it. Be strong - I think you are doing the right thing!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Kar said...

You can do it Becs.... Call your sister. ;-)

8:06 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Thanks guys!
ps- kar I couldn't call you last night you were busy remember?

12:24 PM  
Blogger Eshet Chayil said...

Wow...and I just commented on someone else's blog that I couldn;t wait to get married and have kids. Scaring me!!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

nothing to be scared about. It's wonderful, I love it!

1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you did the right thing, becca. good for you.
estee will be great.
always look at your watch and see that it's not really as long as you think when she's crying
dad

2:29 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

I have neighbors who's kid's cries I can hear loud and clear, and sometimes I feel the urge to go down there and console the poor baby, I can only imagine how hard it is with your own.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home