Generated Image

Saturday, December 03, 2005

do it yourself baby?

Since Friday morning, every time I have tried to nurse Estee, she has pulled herself off, not wanting to nurse but taking to the bottle immediately. Unfortunately I am no longer able to pump. So, I guess that means that if she continues this, she has officially weaned herself off of nursing. Is that possible? I'm a bit sad. I was finally getting the hang of it and determined to continue until she is atleast 6 months (when she can get a flu shot). Well, we will see what happens. According to a website I found on my search on this matter: "Child-led weaning occurs when a child no longer has a need to nurse - nutritionally or emotionally. A baby who self-weans is usually well over a year old, is getting most of his nutrition from solids, is drinking well from a cup, and cuts down on nursing gradually. If children are truly allowed to self-wean in their own time, most will do so somewhere between the 2nd and 4th year. Obviously, some will wean before this time and some will wean after this time, too."
If this is the case, self weaning isn't the issue. Then, what could be happening? Could it have something to do with the fact that she is teething? If so, what can I do to make sure my milk supply doesn't go away?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't freak out! It could just be that she is the oldest/first baby. Many times, the first born is more independant in ways such as this. Once I could crawl, I never wanted to be held! But the next baby might breast feed until it is 3. (Don't worry, my relationship with my mom is fine, B'H. I still talk to her 90 times a day!)

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

babies do not wean this early. it sounds more like a nursing strike which unfortunately, parents often confuse with early weaning. google nursing strike, and also go to www.lalecheleague.org and search the topic to find common causes and remedies.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

thanks I called and they were very helpful

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home