Generated Image

Thursday, December 22, 2005

music troubles

When I was pregnant I became overly aware of things around me that are inappropriate for children. It is during that time that the notorious rapper 50 cent (who ironically performed at that 10 million dollar bat mitzvah....) came out with his song called Candy shop. Well, it sounds innocent enough. Wrong! It is the most disgusting and graphic song I have ever heard playing on the radio. The beginning is just inneundos so it is not so bad. If he would have just stayed at that it would have been okay but he goes into explicit detail. For those of you who are curious and have not heard the filth here is a link to lyrics (I will not write them here)http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/50cent/candyshop.html
Of course I called z100 to complain about the fact that they could play such a song on a station that children listen to. What horrified me even more was that at the time I was working at a preschool that is in the same building as a frum all girls yeshiva. I was in the bathroom one day and two girls were singing this song as if this was the greatest thing on earth. I wouldn't be surprised if they knew all the words! Little yiddishe mamelahs not older than 10! It was at that moment that I decided that little fetus Estee would not know from things such as z100. Of course when I was pregnant my excuse for continuing to listen to z100 and krock was that she wasn't born yet. Now I only listen sometimes in the car if she is not there and in the shower (we asked our rav about our shower radio and he said absolutely no Jewish music in the bathroom so that's okay...) So tonight in the shower Sean Paul came on and I realized that I really like him. You can't understand a word he says so if it's dirty you wouldn't know. Is it completely out of line to ask for his cd in addition to Shlomo Katz and Eli Kransler for Chanukah?

7 Comments:

Blogger Eshet Chayil said...

Good idea. My parents never let me listen to the radio. Or watch tv. Since tv can be just as bad, if not worse.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Yeah I'm seriously contemplating just having a monitor and vcr for appropriate videos.

2:05 AM  
Blogger my bald sheitel said...

this post made me think (and laugh). i too have a soft spot for gangsta rap. i talk on my blog about how i think angels of darkness took it over and stopped me from listening to it. it doesn't work now. i miss it but in some ways i guess it's good my baby won't hear such lyrics through my ears. don't they say babies can hear from the inside? our baby was dancing away last night so much while we were at a chanukah party with a lot of live music. i hope it wasn't because it was too loud!

4:16 PM  
Blogger tafka PP said...

That Candy Shop song used to make me turn off the radio. It normally takes a lot!

1:58 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

yeah me too. It's sick!

4:33 AM  
Blogger Ayelet said...

The chorus alone made me nauseous the first time I heard it. I never got through the rest of it and hope I never do.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

The chorus is the least of it. The rest of the song is much more graphic.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home