Generated Image

Friday, January 27, 2006

Enjoying life's simple pleasures

Sometimes we do things that we will regret doing later, just so we can have instant gratification. Sometimes it is a simple act like eating a piece of cake while on a diet. And, sometimes it is a more complex act like making a statement or confession that can change our lives. Besides for resisting good food of course, I'd say the hardest impulse that I have had to control lately is running to and comforting a crying Estee in the middle of the night or at bedtime. Last night though, I succumbed to the impulse. I gave in and enjoyed my guilty little pleasure. It was 2 am, I had just been woken from a deep sleep and a great dream by horrendous cries. She needed the comfort and so did I, so we just cuddled together on the couch until she was sleeping and I almost was. This really isn't a normal middle of the night habit for me, I was just getting a really big craving that I just could not control at that moment. I know that tonight I may regret it but I was living in the moment and I didn't really care about the consequences. Although I don't make a habit of this at night, every once in a while I allow myself a naptime cuddle. No harm in that I figure. The other day our cuddle was so great that I found myself becoming more addicted to it. But, I will try to be strong. This particular cuddle session was one of the most beautiful motherhood experiences (aside from the obvious-giving birth) I have ever had. I was laying in bed, she was on top of me with one hand around my waist and the other taking turns between rubbing my mouth and rubbing my arm. I had one arm snuggly around her and the other was rubbing her back and her legs. Her cute little face was nestled into my neck and I could feel her breath coming out of her nose and it tickled. Our hearts were adjacent to eachother and beating together in a beautiful rhythm. It was truly two hearts beating as one. I was filled with such euphoria and couldn't help but get all warm and fuzzy inside. Sometimes, it's just worth the consequences....

4 Comments:

Blogger my bald sheitel said...

oh you are making me so excited to have my baby "on the outside." i can't wait to meet our little one and hold him/her close..... i have already told Y i might not be able to ever put the baby down. i am excited :) thanks for the happy post. i think this is ok to give into once in a while, no?

10:57 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Yes it definitely is! When are you due? Bshaa tova!

11:43 AM  
Blogger cruisin-mom said...

Rebecca...enjoy those moments...it goes by faster than you think. My oldest "baby" turns 19 tomorrow, and the last thing he wants to do with me is a cuddly nap!!! (thank goodness!)

5:02 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I know that's why as much as I want her to do new things I am trying not to rush the stages because before I know she will be 19!

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home