Generated Image

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Thursday night ritual?

This past Thursday night I fed Estee after her bath and she was just playing around. I said okay, you're not eating, lets go to bed. I put her in her crib and she was fine for a few minutes and then she started screaming. She has quite a set of lungs on her when she is angry and boy was she angry. I can't even begin to tell you how heart wrenching this particular cry is. I called my mother to talk me through it but she was too upset hearing her cry and only made me more upset. After about 10 minutes of screaming I decided to go in and rub her back. I think it was a fair compromise. I wasn't taking her out of the crib but I was providing her with some comfort. As soon as I got there she made a choking noise and before I was able to act, vomited all over her blanket. When Estee used to spit up a lot (before her nutramigin days) she would often spit up 4 ounces in which case I would refer to it as vomiting. That was just my way of differentiating between a little spit up and a lot. By no means did I really mean she was vomiting. This time she really vomited. Complete with gagging and heaving which I might add is really scary when a 6 month old child is doing it! I took her out of her crib and wiped her face. She was already starting to fall asleep in my arms. She was doing that breathing thing that kids do after they cry a lot and that is so heartbreaking. Her stomach was calming itself down by making gurgling noises. All in all, she was now content. I looked at her orange vomit colored sheets and bumpers (she had sweet potatoes for dinner, yum..). Then, I looked around at my empty apartment. Shoot, Aaron's at a simply tzfat kumsitz. How the heck am I going to change her sheets if she is falling asleep in my arms? Of course, when I called Aaron's cell phone 10 times he didn't answer. I called 3 people in the shul to call their husband and tell Aaron to call me. Finally, I got a call back and Aaron came home to take her so I could change her sheets. Oh Estee, two weeks in a row? Please don't turn this into a habit.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's normal (but not at all pleasant)for some children to cry and then throw up.

You may be sending mixed messages when you let Estee cry but then go back into her. I personally never liked the idea of going in to pat them but not to pick them up, I think that is more confusing for the kid. Obviously it's no fun hearing her cry, either, but I think it's the sort of thing you need to decide (whether or not to let her cry) and then stick with it. (whichever way you decide)

In my experience, I had to put my baby down so I could do a hefsek before shkia - by the time I could get back to her, it had been 10 minutes and I decided not to 'waste' those minutes, and to see how long it would take for her to calm down without me going in. I hate to say it but it was 45 minutes. The next night, however, she cried for a token 2 minutes, and after that, rarely.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Well the first night I let her cry she screamed for about 15. Then the next night it was only 2. Then subsequent nights she didn't cry at all. it's only recently that she started this crying business. The only reason I went into her was because she was vomiting.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

seems like you spent a difficult evening, maybe she suffers from an allergy of some kind?

10:59 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

that's what I was thinking at first. But, how can we pinpoint it? she ate different things both days.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Ei said...

probably not an allergy..even babies can have an "off" nite..could have beena little stomach bug...too bad baies don;t come with an instruction manual, huh?
You'll figure it out..you sound like a great Mom...you can do this Mom thing....
You could have just put her down for five minutes to change her sheets..she would have gone back to sleep at that point.she was tired...

4:56 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Sometimes she doesn't and after what happened I was afraid to risk it!

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she only called me once

3:54 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

check your phone it had 10 missed calls.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

After almost 6 months of begging my husband finally comments under anonymous!

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home