Generated Image

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Can a 7 month old be a brat?

Estee has two new games that she plays. The first one is that every time I try to change her diaper or get her dressed she flips over onto her belly and tries to crawl away. The other day she attempted to take a dive from her changing table. Luckily I had her leg and was able to pull her right back up. Last night it was absolutely impossible to change her. She had a very dirty diaper and she kept flipping over. I did everything to distract her but it didn't work and lets just say her changing table and her clothing were pretty messy. The other thing she continues to do is vomit. Now I don't know how much of it is intentional but it is not fun. She used to cry so much that she would vomit. Now, she cries for a split second and vomits. Yesterday she vomited without even crying. What am I going to do with this child?

4 Comments:

Blogger tuesdaywishes said...

Isn't this a fun age! The diaper thing is really difficult, you've got to be fast and firm. Don't be afraid to hold her still. Try to talk to her or sing or something. If all else fails, strip her and do a quick rinse in the tub (if you're home). About the vomiting, as soon as you think she's trying to gag, grab both hands, get right in her face and say firmly, "NO!" If she does it anyway, don't fuss over her. Do the cleanup without talking, no soothing or distractions. The idea is that she is trying this new cause and effect, so make sure the effect is no fun. She'll find other things more fun to play with, I promise!

5:30 PM  
Anonymous "Great" Aunt Leslie said...

I completely understand about the flipping thing - if I had a dollar for every time I had to wrestle Jason down while changing his diaper, I'd be a millionaire!! My only advice to take or leave (besides the whole "give them or do something to distract them" thing) is to minimize the amount of time she's on her back. I let Jason sit up (or stand) while I get his pants off, unsnap his undershirt or whatever before I lie him down to change his diaper. This seems to make him less squirmy since he's not lying down for as long.

4:12 AM  
Blogger Another meshugannah mommy said...

Would you believe I used to diaper my daughter standing up? I was a whole lot easier once I got used to it!

Although, the best advice I can give you is to hold her still, firmly but gently, and diaper her as quickly as possible. Don't talk to her while you are doing it - it just gives her attention for the negative "flipping" behavior. When you're done -hugs and kisses! Totally worked for me, although I can't seem to remember which book gave me this advice.

As for the vomiting - what does your pediatrician say?

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its not nice to call a baby a brat

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home