Generated Image

Thursday, February 23, 2006

When it rains it pours

<-----Atleast someone is having a good vacation!!!





I haven't really been able to write much because it has been a very crazy week. Aaron's been home recovering from his surgery and since we were supposed to go to Florida, I gave my babysitter the week off. Since Estee's bedtime vomiting became more frequent (it started off every so often because of crying herself to sleep and turned into every day from no crying at all) I decided to take her to the pediatritian. Since her appointment coincided with her naptime I decided to walk The 15 blocks. It was actually a really nice walk and she was in a really cute mood in the waiting room. Because she has a splotchy rash on her arms, legs and back (which initially was thought to be dry skin) and because of her vomiting, her pediatriatian reffered her to see an allergist. I felt so defeated from this news. One of the main reasons (besides for the fact that it is just healthier) that I nursed and was so persistant eventhough it was difficult, was because it has been found that nursing babies can prevent them from having allergies. I have terrible seasonal allergies and asthma and I did not want this for my child. Upon hearing that she may have food allergies I was just so upset. The next day not only did I have to take her to the allergist but her little sniffles turned into her first real full blown cold. It could not have come at a better time. The poor child is
so congested that when she cries, she is hoarse. It is so sad. Leaving for the allergist was diificult because she was a bit cranky and was fighting with me to get into her car seat. I finally got her into the car, sat in the front seat and went to start the engine.....and....sputter sputter, it was dead! Thank G-d for my stepfather who came and drove us to the appointment and jump started it while we were with the dr. Estee got 8 pricks in each arm to test her for 16 different foods in all. oysh. I did not expect her to get any needles. I was NOT prepared for that!!! In the end, she isn't allergic to any foods although there were a couple that were borderline. The Dr. gave us a list of things to do, each thing on this list will be tried if the item on the list before it doesn't work and we are to see her again in a month. Our pediatritian will see her again on Monday and if the allergy thing doesn't pan out, she will send her to a gastro. oy, my poor baby. To top it all off, between the fact that she is sick and the fact that I am afraid she will vomit, she now can no longer fall asleep without being in my arms. We have moved from waking up once a night to waking up a few times and I am slowly losing my mind!
In addition, changing Estee's diaper or getting her dressed has become a full blown wrestling match. I have tried every technique and hold possible. She cannot be distracted. She takes whatever toy I am distracting her with and flips over with it. She throws her head back and twists her body and screams if I try to flip her back. Most of the time this is happening with a dirty diaper in the way. The only thing that seems to distract her temporarily is this silly little doll that I got for Aaron as a get well present. It is a lion that dances and sings "You're my soul, you're my inspiration, You're all I've got to get me by...." But even that seems to have stopped working. This morning I may have finally found my answer. I have officially mastered putting on her diaper and clothing backwards. Twice today I have put her diaper on backwards and it was a success! No leaks! I only hope she was fully clean. I don't know how much more I can take of this!!

3 Comments:

Blogger tuesdaywishes said...

You know, I had forgotten that one! I used to diaper from the back, but wrap the tabs to the front. (This was in the days of tape, which I still think stuck better than Velcro. Also, I dressed them in sweatsuits rather then strechies because pulling pants down and up was faster and simpler than those cursed snaps. Can she bear weight on her feet? If so, standing her up to put on the clean diaper and redress her might help.

About the vomiting, my fifth kid did that. To break the habit, I went back to putting him to sleep in my arms, then patting in the crib, then hand holding in the crib, sitting near the crib, sitting in the room, and finally leaving the room. In other words, I re-did his whole sleep training . I lost a month of sleep, but he never used vomiting as an attention-getter again.

Good luck with the allergies!

5:56 PM  
Blogger Eshet Chayil said...

refua shleima to him...and keep posting pics of estie...she's adorable. kn"h

10:56 AM  
Blogger JTopo said...

So this is why we have Mother's Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel horrible that things are so tough right now but don't worry I'm sure after this off week everything will be ok IYH Bli ayin hora. You just prove how wonderful mommies are! Mwa

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home