Generated Image

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Photo op?

Since I went back to work (after vacation) I have been trying to undo all the spoiling I did to Estee while she was sick. When she wakes up in the middle of the night, I have been letting her cry. I must say (bli ayin hora) it has worked! Last night she slept 8 hours straight! Two nights ago though, at 2 am she was crying and crying. I thought to myself, either something is wrong or she is hungry. I went into her to find her standing in her crib and crying because she couldn't get down. This put me in a very difficult bind. I had a crying child in front of me but one who was in the middle of a milestone. I ran into the bedroom quickly to get the camera, snapped a picture of her then immediately picked her up. So now, I have a picture of her standing but she is crying too. Am I a terrible mom?
It took over two hours to get her back to bed because if she wasn't asleep when I put her back in her crib, she would stand back up and start crying again.
Am I supposed to remove her bumpers now?
Am I supposed to continue to let her cry in the middle of the night? What if she falls when she is standing?

7 Comments:

Blogger Ayelet said...

Ah, yes. This is classic. To answer your questions: Yes! Lose the bumpers! I don't know how you managed with them and a baby who vomits! Nothing will happen to her if she falls in her crib. The worst case scenario is she bumps her head on the way down. No big deal since the wood slats are not terribly hard. Also, she's not tall enough to gather too much force on the way down to pose a real danger. (I would have gone for the camera, too. I guess we're both bad mommies ;))

5:09 PM  
Blogger tuesdaywishes said...

Take out the bumpers, and try to show her how to get down. Little kids bend their kness until their bottom hits the floor. I'm not a big fan of leaving a baby cry in the night, but if it works, at her age it should be over in a week or less.

A rule of thumb about falls: if the kid fell from their own height or less, (not off of a table or something) at their own speed or less (not on a skateboard) they are really not likely to have a serious injury. Hashem did a good job on this stuff. This is important as your baby enters the head-bumping stage (six months to three years).

6:06 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Aww, that is so cute! I know the dilemma well. Yeah, remove the bumpers and she will figure it out soon!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Ayelet- yeah so her bumpers have a lot of stains. I should probably be ashamed to admit that. Won't she smack her head without the bumpers? isn't that a dangerous place to get hit?
Tuesday- oh, she knows how to get down! I guess she was playing me because yesterday after her nap she was flopping all around her crib. up and down, flop here flop there. She was all around her crib in a matter of seconds!
Stacy- everyone has said move the bumpers. is it really unsafe not to remove them?

11:41 AM  
Blogger Kar said...

Hey, maybe THIS blog should be called "Standing Here Screaming." Wow, I crack myself up. Give my beautiful niece a kiss for me!! (And tell her to give one to you for me, too)

5:01 PM  
Blogger Ayelet said...

Yes! Remove them. Now! It's the extra inch or two that will give her the edge to get her over that rail!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

my babysitter said not to take them out and another friend of ours didnt. I'm so nervous that she will smack her mouth or face because she keeps throwing herself down or into the wood and if the bumpers weren't there she would get badly hurt...

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home