Generated Image

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

On the road to the five towns part deux

This time as opposed to last Estee was with me. My grandparents are back from Florida and I have been trying for a few days to get over there to visit them. I called my babysitter on the way home from work to ask if she had napped yet. She said yes. I asked if she could get her and a diaper bag ready so I could leave with her right when I get home. Since my babysitter stayed a little extra to help me get her to the car, I drove her to the car. As we were driving I asked, when did she last eat? She said "at 2:30 I gave her a little bit of bottle but she didn't really want any." uh oh. I asked "So, will she be hungry soon?" She assured me that she would be good until 4:30 (it was 3:45)
On the van wyck she started to cry. Luckily I have the mirror by her that allows me to see her in the rearview mirror and I was able to reach back and put her pacifier in her mouth. I did this twice but it kept falling out and she kept getting upset. By the time I reached Rockaway tpke she was screaming. I was not quite sure what to do. She must be hungry I thought. Okay. Super mommy time. I reached into her diaper bag, got out a bottle and pulled a gumby by reaching back and sticking the bottle in her mouth. Alas, she was happy and gulping down the bottle like there was no tommorow. Of course, I couldn't just stop in the middle of Rockaway Tpke. I proceeded to drive with one hand on the wheel and my arm twisted in a painful way behind me feeding her a bottle. I must say I am pretty talented.
She seemed to also be drifting off but when we got there she became wide awake and happily played with my grandparents who haven't seen her since early November.
She of course performed very well. I was happy because I got to enjoy a nice home cooked meal made by bubby while my grandfather sang her his classic yaydidi day song. (It has been sung to each baby in the family through the generations. Immensely enjoyed by the baby, not by anybody else due to his being tone deaf)
When it was time to go she got beside herself with exaustion. She was extremely cranky. I put her down for a minute to pack up her diaper bag and she began to climb up my legs. Before I knew it, she fell flat on her face. Ipicked her up to soothe her and I gave her her pacifier as well. When the pacifier fell out of her mouth it was covered in blood. It's funny my very nervous grandmother kept me calm and got her ice to chew on. Never a dull moment. Needless to say she fell asleep in the car before we even turned the corner.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kar said...

I take full credit for coining the phrase, "supermommy"

5:03 PM  
Blogger JTopo said...

OMG! That's all I have to say- Oh My G-d!

11:54 AM  
Blogger tuesdaywishes said...

Bottle feeding was so much easier before they invented the passenger-side airbag...my first five kids rode in the front seat where I could see them and they could see me.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home